The End of the First Chapter

Today, 9th June 2016, I finished my last essay and completed my first year of university.

Early on my first day!

No matter how many times I say that, it doesn’t feel real. In a few days time, I’m moving out of my halls which is a little scary to think about, so let’s just talk about today.

I actually got up early (it hasn’t happened a lot lately) and went to breakfast. Straight after that I was hard at work on my essay since I had my last one-to-one session at half 1 and I wanted as much done as possible. I wouldn’t be able to do my degree without the support of my one-to-one helper, she helps me get the thoughts from my head to the page. I’m not sure what she’d think of my blog though.

Afterwards, I was on my way home to make the finished touches to my work when one of the strangest things happened on the bus. I’d just gotten on the bus at uni and the bus stayed there for a while. The driver was on the phone for about 5 minutes, before he starts making some notes. Then he gets up and gets off the bus without any explanation. At this point, everyone is confused. We continue to wait. 10 minutes later, the bus driver walks off, totally abandoning us. Eventually, another driver came to take over, explaining that the first driver had gotten on the wrong bus a few stops before and wasn’t meant to be driving this route. How does that even happen? I mean, sure I’ve accidentally gotten on the wrong bus, but I’m not the driver?!

Soon enough I’m home and typing away. The bulk of it had been written, just a little tidying and the conclusion. After all my referencing, it was submission time. At 4:48pm, I uploaded the finished version of my Critical Approaches to Media essay and hit submit. It was done, it was finally done. It was over, and so was my first year.


I didn’t have too much time to celebrate though as it was nearly dinner time. Megan and I headed to catering which turned out to be a “BBQ” set up by the RAs. It made a change from our usual choices and we even had free fizzy drinks. Bonus. With music playing in the background, we had our penultimate dinner in The Hub. I’m really going to miss that next year – not just the food (which has been a little hit and miss), but the company. It’s so nice to sit down to dinner with someone who actually wants to hear about your day, and can make you smile even when the dinner doesn’t. I don’t know what I would have done without her here to rescue me sometimes, she’s a real star.

After dinner, I was doing some general interneting when the fire alarm went off. Waiting out in the cold gave me some time to catch up with one of my flatmates since I rarely see them these days. We just have different friends, different lives, it’s not personal, but it was good to see her. Luckily there wasn’t actually a fire, and after awhile we were allowed back in.  I’d just sat back down, when it went off again. Reluctantly, I put my shoes back on and went outside again. Still no fire, and eventually someone comes to turn off the blaring noise. Everyone headed back to their room, when it went off for a third time….then a forth…and a fifth. Less than a minute after they’d turned it off, it would come back on. This happened about 7 times in a row. I’m so glad I’d finished my work, otherwise I’d be having a breakdown.

I finished the night by going through all of the photos I’d taken this year and uploaded the best ones to Facebook. I’ve come so far in such a short amount of time, and I have some great photos to prove it. After yet another fire alarm (yep, that’s 10 in total), I had a whole year’s worth of pictures to upload ranging from my first day at university to the dinner I had on Tuesday.


It still hasn’t sunk in yet that I’ve done a whole year of my course. It’s been full of ups and downs, laughter and tears, but it’s been so worth it. When I left school back in 2012, I never thought I’d actually make it this far and it’s been quite the journey. I’m so grateful for everyone that’s helped me get to where I am now, from the people that have supported me since my application to the one’s I’ve come to know along the way. I’ve grown so much as a person, and although it’s been testing to say the least, I am stronger than when I started.

I had a panic attack on my first day and was so ready to give it all up; I’m so glad that I stuck with it.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s